|Title of article
||Current Trends in Whey Processing
Korotkiy I., Head of the Department of Heat Technology, Director of Institute of Electronic Educational Communications, Kemerovo State University, professor, doctor of technical sciences , Kemerovo State University , firstname.lastname@example.org
Plotnikov I., Associate Professor of the Department Machines and Apparatus for Technological Systems, Kemerovo State University, candidate of technical sciences , Kemerovo State University , email@example.com
Maseeva I., Associate Professor of the Department Technology of Food of Animal Origin, Kemerovo State University, candidate of technical sciences , Kemerovo State University , firstname.lastname@example.org
||FOOD PRODUCTION TECHNOLOGY
||The integrated use of secondary raw milk is one of the most effective ways to optimize the processing of raw materials in the production of dairy products. The unique composition and properties of curd whey makes it a valuable industrial raw material that can be processed into a variety of foods and feed products. Nowadays, whey protein concentrates (WPC) are extremely popular with consumers. One of the promising areas of industrial processing of acid whey is the extraction of proteins by means of separate freezing (cryoconcentration). This process takes place at low temperatures (from 0 to minus 15Â°C), which makes it possible to preserve the composition and properties of the raw material, prevents denaturation of whey protein fractions, and preserves its valuable thermolabile components. The authors conducted laboratory tests of curd whey and WPC produced by several dairy companies. The research allowed the authors to determine the composition, sensory, physico-chemical, and microbiological properties of the samples. The research objective was to evaluate the sensory properties of the initial cheese whey and WPC obtained by cryoconcentration, to establish their chemical composition, as well as physico-chemical and microbiological parameters. The research also featured the effect of the whey acidity on the WPC output and the development of technological schemes of WPC production by separate freezing. All the samples of curd whey proved to meet the current standards and can be used for WPC production. The sample of laboratory-obtained WPC sample had 20.19% of dry substances and 12.80% of protein, which corresponds to the standard albumin with its 20.0% of dry substances. The titratable acidity of WPC did not exceed the permissible level of 95Â°T. The experimental results proved that the cryoconcentration technology produced concentrate that met the requirements of regulatory and technical documentation. The obtained data revealed an increase in titratable acidity from 47Â°T to 50Â°T during the storage of curd whey for 7 days. The increase in acidity increased the yield of WPC after 7 days of serum storage by 57.6%. The new WPC production scheme consisted of several stages: (1) the whey was obtained; (2) casein dust and dairy fat were excluded;
(3) pasteurization; (4) two-stage cryoconcentration; (5) thermal coagulation of whey concentrate; (6) separation of WPC. The technology of cryoconcentrationcurd whey suggests designing industrial installations in-line type to obtain CSB.
||Curd whey, separating freezing, cryoconcentration, whey protein concentrate
||Received March 23, 2019
Accepted June 21, 2019
Available online July 8, 2019
||Korotkiy IA, Plotnikov IB, Mazeeva IA. Current Trends in Whey Processing. Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2019;49(2):227â€“234. (In Russ.). DOI: https://doi.org/10.21603/2074-9414-2019-2-227-234.
- Zolotoreva MS, Volodin DN, Knyazev SN, Tereshina EN, Chablin BV. Pererabotka molochnoy syvorotki s polucheniem tsennykh pishchevykh ingredientov [Whey processing Â for Â valuable Â food Â ingredients]. Â Milk Â Processing. Â 2015;187(5):28â€“29. (In Russ.).
- Khramtsov AG. Fenomen molochnoy syvorotki [Whey phenomenon]. St. Petersburg: Professiya; 2011. 804 p. (In Russ.).
- Gushchin AA. Ehkologicheskaya bezopasnostÊ¹ molochnogo proizvodstva i tekhnologii pererabotki molochnoy syvorotki [Ecological security of dairy production and whey processing technology]. XV Mezhdunarodnaya nauchno-prakticheskaya konferentsiya â€˜Tekhnicheskie nauki â€“ ot teorii k praktikeâ€™ [XV International Scientific and Practical Conference: Technical Sciences from Theory to Practice]. Novosibirsk, 2016. pp. 16â€“20. (In Russ.).
- Donskaya GA, Fridenberg GV. Efficient Â technologies Â of Â milk Â whey Â application. Â Dairy Â industry. Â 2009;(12):38â€“40. (In Russ.).
- Evdokimov IA, Hramtsov AG, Nesterenko PG. Present state of milk whey processing. Dairy industry. 2008;(11):36â€“39. (In Russ.).
- Volodin DN, Zolotareva MS, Kostyuk AV, Topalov VK, Evdokimov LA, Chablin BV, et al. Application of whey ingredients in foods production. Dairy industry. 2017;(2):65â€“67. (In Russ.).
- U rossiyskoy syvorotki bolÊ¹shoe budushchee: Novosti molochnogo rynka kazhdyy denÊ¹ [The great future of Russian whey: daily dairy market news] [Inernet]. [cited 2019 Feb 20]. Available from: http://www.dairynews.ru/news/u_rossijskoj_syvorotki_ bolshoje_budushheje.html.
- Schetinin MP, Dorokhova AS. Production and processing of whey in Russia and the Altai region. Polzunovsky vestnik. 2013;(4â€“4):80â€“84. (In Russ.).
- Volodin DN, Zolotareva MS, Topalov VK, Evdokimov IA, Hramtsov AG, Mertin P. Milk whey processing: conceptual strategy, real technologies, adequate investments, demanded products. Dairy industry. 2015;(5):36â€“41. (In Russ.).
- Maseeva IA, Korotkiy IA, Plotnikov IB. Modern Packaging Solutions for Whey Protein Concentrate. Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2018;48(4):48â€“58. (In Russ.). DOI: https://doi.org/10.21603/2074-9414-2018-4-48-58.
- Gushchin AA. Concentration of curd whey by separating freezing. The Bulletin of KrasGAU. 2017;133(10):168â€“174. (In Russ.).
- Korotkiy IA, Gushchin AA, Fedorov DE. Issledovanie vozmozhnosti polucheniya kontsentrata syvorotochnogo belka metodom razdelitelÊ¹nogo vymorazhivaniya [Obtaining whey protein concentrate by separate freezing]. Vestnik sovremennykh issledovaniy [Bulletin of Contemporary Studies]. 2019;28(1â€“8):102â€“106. (In Russ.).
- Panchenko SL. Issledovanie protsessa kontsentrirovaniya tvorozhnoy syvorotki metodom vymorazhivaniya [Cheese whey concentration by freezing]. Cand. eng. sci. diss. Voronezh: Voronezh State University of Engineering Technologies; 2010. 187 p.
- Korotkiy IA, Gunko PA, Fedorov DE. The research of the milk whey cryo-concentration processes. The Bulletin of KrasGAU. 2014;88(1):148â€“153. (In Russ.).
- Korotkiy IA, Korotkaya EV, Kurbanova MG. Efficiency of artificial cold production in separation freeze-out plants. Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2016;43(4):116â€“122. (In Russ.).
- Korotky IA, Fedorov DE, Trizno NA. Research on the operation of the capacitive crystallizer for freezing out of liquid food products. Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2012;27(4):106â€“110. (In Russ.).
- Gushchin AA. Analysis of whey cryoconcentration at several successive stages. Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2017;45(2):87â€“92. (In Russ.).
- State Standard 34352-2017. Milk whey - raw material. Specifications. Moscow: Standartinform; 2018. 11 p.
- State Standard 33957-2016. Dairy whey and drinks on its basis. Acceptance rules, sampling and methods of control. Moscow: Standartinform; 2016. 19 p.
- State Standard 33956-2016. Albumin and pastes from albumin. Specifications. Moscow: Standartinform; 2016. 15 p.
- Tekhnicheskiy reglament tamozhennogo soyuza â€˜O bezopasnosti moloka i molochnoy produktsiiâ€™ (TR TS 033/2013) [Technical regulations of the Customs Union â€˜On the safety of milk and dairy productsâ€™ (TR CU 033/2013)].