Li N., Far Eastern Federal University, Vladivostok, Russia, email@example.com
Kalenik T., Far Eastern Federal University, Vladivostok, Russia
||Introduction. Plant materials are susceptible to microbial contamination at all stages of the technological process and storage. This problem becomes highly relevant when extracting biologically active compounds from the Inonotus obliquus chaga mushroom. If used in food systems, contaminated extracts may cause their subsequent microbial contamination, as well as deterioration of quality and safety, which inevitably leads to economic losses and health risks. Inonotus obliquus is a popular component of various functional foods; therefore, the microbiological purity of its extracts requires a thorough analysis. In this regard, toxicity in a living test object is another important aspect of the safety studies of extracts and biologically active compounds. Before introducing a new food additive or component into the food system, it has to be tested for toxic properties.
Study objects and methods. The research featured aqueous and supercritical CO2-extracts of the Inonotus obliguus chaga mushroom. The aqueous extract was obtained according to the method specified in the State Pharmacopoeia of the USSR. The supercritical CO2 extraction was obtained using a Thar SFE-500F-2-FMC50 supercritical fluid extraction system. Microbiological indicators were determined by standard operating methods. The relative biological value and possible toxic properties were measured by biotesting on Tetrahymena pyriformis.
Results and its discussion. During the entire tested storage period, the microbial contamination of the extracts remained at a low level, while the contaminants in the supercritical extract showed signs of microbial deactivation by carbon dioxide. The experiment on the ciliates demonstrated no inhibition of motility and growth, the shape of the cells was oval, even, and the cell walls remained unaffected, which means that the extracts produced no toxic effect.
Conclusion. The extracts of the Inonotus obliguus mushroom proved to be biologically valuable and toxicologically safe. The test on Tetrahymena pyriformis showed stable and traceable microbiological indicators. Therefore, aqueous and supercritical CO2 extracts of Inonotus obliguus can be used in food industry.
- Han P, Bian Y, Chen Q, Zhang G, Zhang Y, Li B, et al. Isolation, identification, and biological characteristics of a wild
chaga mushroom. Chinese Journal of Applied and Environmental Biology. 2018;24(3):576â€“582. https://doi.org/10.19675/j.cnki.1006-
- GlamoÄŤlija J, Ä†iriÄ‡ A, NikoliÄ‡ M, Fernandes Ă‚, Barros L, Calhelha RC, et al. Chemical characterization and biological
activity of Chaga (Inonotus obliquus), a medicinal â€śmushroomâ€ť. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2015;162:323â€“332. https://doi.
- Shahzad F, Anderson D, Najafzadeh M. The antiviral, anti-inflammatory effects of natural medicinal herbs and mushrooms
and SARS-CoV-2 infection. Nutrients. 2020;12(9). https://doi.org/10.3390/nu12092573.
- Sysoeva MA. Vysokoaktivnye antioksidanty na osnove griba Inonotus obliquus [Highly active antioxidants based on
Inonotus obliquus]. Dr. chem. sci. diss. Kazan: Kazan State Technological University; 2009. 32 p.
- Li NG, Kalenik TK, Motkina EV, Motkina MA. The study of the component composition of CO2 extract of Inonotus
obliguus birch mushroom by chromato-mass spectrometry. XXI Century: Resumes of the Past and Challenges of the Present Plus.
2020;9(1)(49):105â€“110. (In Russ.).
- Al-Maqtari QA, Mahdi AA, Al-Ansi W, Mohammed JK, Wei M, Yao W. Evaluation of bioactive compounds and
antibacterial activity of Pulicaria jaubertii extract obtained by supercritical and conventional methods. Journal of Food Measurement
and Characterization. 2021;15(1):449â€“456. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11694-020-00652-5.
- Confortin TC, Todero I, Canabarro NI, Luft L, Ugalde GA, Neto JRC, et al. Supercritical CO2 extraction of compounds
from different aerial parts of Senecio brasiliensis: Mathematical modeling and effects of parameters on extract quality. Journal of
Supercritical Fluids. 2019;153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.supflu.2019.104589.
- Quintana SE, Cueva C, Villanueva-Bermejo D, Moreno-Arribas MV, Fornari T, GarcĂa-Risco MR. Antioxidant and
antimicrobial assessment of licorice supercritical extracts. Industrial Crops and Products. 2019;139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- Wang W, Han S, Jiao Z, Cheng J, Song J. Antioxidant activity and total polyphenols content of camellia oil extracted by
optimized supercritical carbon dioxide. JAOCS, Journal of the American Oil Chemistsâ€™ Society. 2019;96(11):1275â€“1289. https://doi.
- Wang W, Rao L, Wu X, Wang Y, Zhao L, Liao X. Supercritical carbon dioxide applications in food processing. Food
Engineering Reviews. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12393-020-09270-9.
- Gabidova AEh, Galynkin VA. A unified and simplified flow diagram of the production of active pharmaceutical
ingredients and the finished dosage form. Pharmacy Formulas. 2019;1(1):32â€“37. https://doi.org/10.17816/phf18552.
- ShulĘągin YuP, ShulĘągina LV, Petrov VA. Uskorennaya biotis otsenka kachestva i bezopasnosti syrĘąya i produktov iz
vodnykh biore-sursov [Accelerated biotis assessment of the quality and safety of raw materials and products from aquatic biological
resources]. Vladivostok: Izd-vo TGEHU; 2006. 123 p. (In Russ.).
- Maurya R, Pandey AK. Importance of protozoa Tetrahymena in toxicological studies: A review. Science of the Total
Environment. 2020;741. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.140058.
- Toropov AA, Toropova AP, Benfenati E. â€śIdeal correlationsâ€ť for the predictive toxicity to Tetrahymena pyriformis.
Toxicology Mechanisms and Methods. 2020;30(8):605â€“610. https://doi.org/10.1080/15376516.2020.1801928.
- Gosudarstvennaya Farmakopeya SSSR. Vyp. 2: Obshchie metody analiza. Lekarstvennoe rastitelĘąnoe syrĘąe. 63. Inonotus
obliquus. Chaga [State Pharmacopoeia of the USSR. Issue 2: General methods of analysis. Medicinal herbal raw materials. 63.
Inonotus obliquus. Chaga]. Moscow: Meditsina; 1990. 397 p. (In Russ.).
- Arumugham T, Rambabu K, Hasan SW, Show PL, Rinklebe J, Banat F. Supercritical carbon dioxide extraction of
plant phytochemicals for biological and environmental applications â€“ A review. Chemosphere. 2021;271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- Ribeiro N, Soares GC, Santos-Rosales V, Concheiro A, Alvarez-Lorenzo C, GarcĂa-GonzĂˇlez CA, et al. A new era
for sterilization based on supercritical CO2 technology. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research â€“ Part B Applied Biomaterials.
- Kasyanov GI, Mishkevich EYu. Features of extraction of valuable components from ethermosilic raw material, liquefied
and compressed carbon dioxide. Scientific works of the Kuban State Technological University. 2019;(1):367â€“377. (In Russ.).