Petrova S., Associate Professor, Associate Professor of the Department of Food Technology and Biotechnology, Ivanovo State University of Chemistry and Technology, email@example.com
Maximova I., Undergraduate of the Department of Food Technology and Biotechnology, Ivanovo State University of Chemistry and
||Introduction. Soy pulp, or okara, is a soy milk by-product. It contains a complex of valuable macro- and micronutrients, including fat-soluble vitamins. Recently, there has been a growing interest in replacing synthetic antioxidants with a mix of natural tocopherols. Soy beans and their by-products contain vitamin E and therefore can be used in food production, cosmetic, etc.
Study objects and methods. The present research featured soy pulp. The content of tocopherols in the soy product was determined by high performance liquid chromatography using Sigma Aldrich standards and corresponding calibration dependencies. The research also involved spectrophotometry for determining tocopherols in standard solutions followed by chromatographic separation using fluorimetric detection.
Results and discussion. To determine tocopherols in the okara, the test samples were treated with hexane. The filtered solution was exposed to low temperatures, after which the phases formed by centrifugation were separated. The samples were tested for all forms of tocopherols with the exception of Î²- and Î³-forms. The chromatographic separation of the peaks of these forms was difficult due to the fact that their structural formulas were similar and differed only in the arrangement of methyl groups, i.e. the ortho- and paraposition. As a result, it was decided to determine the sum of the Î²- and Î³-forms, which did not affect the objectivity of the analysis, since, according to published data, the content of Î²-tocopherol in soy products stays within 5%.
Conclusion. The proposed method for sample preparation made it possible to improve the separation of the lipid fraction, which had a positive effect on the results of the analysis. The method also determined not only the quantitative, but also the qualitative content of tocopherols in the product. This reduced the risk of malfunctioning chromatographic equipment: the method proved more economical in terms of labor and reagent use. The obtained results corresponded to the existing scientific data on the content of tocopherols in soy products. The content of tocopherols in soy okara was 109 mg%.
- Linnikov PI. Russian soybean market: trends, development prospects. The Agrarian Scientific Journal. 2018;(10):81â€“86. (In Russ.). DOI: https://doi.org/10.28983/asj.v0i10.595.
- Dorokhov AS, Belyshkina ME, Bolsheva KK. Soy production in the Russian Federation: basic trends and development prospects. Vestnik of Ulyanovsk State Agricultural Academy. 2019;47(3):25â€“33. (In Russ.). DOI: https://doi.org/10.18286/1816â€“4501â€“2019-3â€“25â€“33.
- Statsenko ES, Litvinenko OV. Assessment of technological properties of soybean grain of the FSBSI ARSRI of soybean and its processing products to determine their suitability for use in food production. Bulletin of South Ural State University. Series: Food and Biotechnology. 2019;7(3):31â€“40. (In Russ.). DOI: https://doi.org/10.14529/food190304.
- Tao X, Cai YJ, Liu TX, Long Z, Huang LH, Deng XL, et al. Effects of pretreatments on the structure and functional properties of okara protein. Food Hydrocolloids. 2019;90:394â€“402. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2018.12.028.
- Hu Y, Piao CH, Chen Y, Zhou YN, Wang D, Yu HS, et al. Soybean residue (okara) fermentation with the yeast Kluyveromyces marxianus. Food Bioscience. 2019;31. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbio.2019.100439.
- Vong WC, Liu SQ. Biovalorisation of okara (soybean residue) for food and nutrition. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 2016;52:139â€“147. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2016.04.011.
- Sadovoy VV, Samylina VA. Soevaya pishchevaya okara v kompozitsionnykh retsepturakh myasnykh izdeliy [Soy okara in compositional formulations of meat products]. News institutes of higher Education. Food technology. 2005;284(1):46â€“48. (In Russ.).
- Begeulov M. Using soybean okara in bread. Bread products. 2010;(7):40â€“42. (In Russ.).
- Fedorova RA. Investigation of the effect on the okara of quality bread. Izvestiya Saint-Petersburg State Agrarian University. 2016;(42):46â€“51. (In Russ.).
- Kodirova GA, Kubankova GV. Secondary soy raw material as a component in the production of flour confectionery. Bulletin of KSAU. 2018;141(6):182â€“186. (In Russ.).
- Guseva TI, Gulova TI. Obogashchenie sdobnogo pechenÊ¹ya soevoy okaroy [Fortification of butter cookies with soy okara]. Sovremennoe khlebopekarnoe proizvodstvo: perspektivy razvitiya â€“ Materialy XVII Vserossiyskoy zaochnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii [Modern bakery production: development prospects â€“ Proceedings of the XVII All-Russian Correspondence Scientific and Practical Conference]; 2016; Yekaterinburg. Yekaterinburg: Urals State University of Economics; 2016. p. 116â€“121. (In Russ.).
- Park J, Choi I, Kim Y. Cookies formulated from fresh okara using starch, soy flour and hydroxypropyl methylcellulose have high quality and nutritional value. LWT â€“ Food Science and Technology. 2015;63(1):660â€“666. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2015.03.110.
- Dotsenko SM, Bibik IV, Kupchak DV, Obukhov EB, Gryzlov VÐœ, Agafonov IV. Technological approach to obtaining and using soybean seed germ fraction in specific foods. Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2015;38(3):76â€“83. (In Russ.).
- Osipova GA, Samofalova LA, Berezina NA, Seregina TV. Wasteless processing of soy: use soya okara in macaroni manufacture. Legumes and Groat Crops. 2019;29(1):56â€“62. (In Russ.). DOI: https://doi.org/10.24411/2309â€“348Xâ€“2019â€“11073.
- Kang MJ, Bae IY, Lee HG. Rice noodle enriched with okara: Cooking property, texture, and in vitro starch digestibility. Food Bioscience. 2018;22:178â€“183. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbio.2018.02.008.
- Sarbatova NYu, Potryasov NV. Soevaya okara v retsepturakh myasnykh i myasosoderzhashchikh izdeliy [Soy okara in the formulations of meat and meat-containing products]. Sovremennye aspekty proizvodstva i pererabotki selÊ¹skokhozyaystvennoy produktsii â€“ Sbornik statey po materialam II nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii studentov, aspirantov i molodykh uchenykh [Modern aspects of production and processing of agricultural products â€“ Proceedings of the II scientific-practical conference of students, graduate students, and young scientists]; 2016; Krasnodar. Krasnodar: Kuban State Agrarian University; 2016. p. 157â€“160. (In Russ.).
- Dezhatkina SV, Gubeidullina ZM, Muhytov AZ. Morphological composition of blood pigs when you add in the diet of soy okara. Scientific Notes Kazan Bauman State Academy of Veterinary Medicine. 2014;217(1):65â€“70. (In Russ.).
- Dezhatkina SV, Lyubin NA, Dezhatkin ME. Parametres of calcium â€“ phosphorus tissue metabolism of pigs, when feeding them with soy okara. Vestnik of Ulyanovsk State Agricultural Academy. 2017;38(2):76â€“79. (In Russ.). DOI: https://doi.org/10.18286/1816-4501-2017-2-76-79.
- Vorotnikova IA, Dezhatkina SV. Turkey metabolism parametres in case of feeding them with modified zeolite and soy okara. Vestnik of Ulyanovsk State Agricultural Academy. 2019;48(4):161â€“164. (In Russ.). DOI: https://doi.org/10.18286/1816â€“4501â€“2019â€“4â€“161â€“164.
- Parrish DB, Waltking AE. Determination of vitamin E in foods â€“ a review. CRC Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 1980;13(2):161â€“187. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398009527288.
- Hayrulina TP, Semenova EA. The temperature and water stressors impact on the low-molecular antioxidant content in soya seeds. Bulletin of KSAU. 2013;77(2):22â€“26. (In Russ.).
- Taghvaei M, Jafari SM. Application and stability of natural antioxidants in edible oils in order to substitute synthetic additives. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2013;52(3):1272â€“1282. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-013-1080-1.
- Sizova NV. The vitamin E content in edible and pharmaceutical oils. Chemistry of plant raw material. 2013;(1):157â€“163. (In Russ.). DOI: https://doi.org/10.14258/jcprm.1301157.
- Pycia K, Kapusta I, Jaworska G, Jankowska A. Antioxidant properties, profile of polyphenolic compounds and tocopherol content in various walnut (Juglans regia L.) varieties. European Food Research and Technology. 2018;245(3):607â€“616. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-018-3184-3.
- Voss GB, Osorio H, Valente MP, Pintado ME. Impact of thermal treatment and hydrolysis by Alcalase and Cynara cardunculus enzymes on the functional and nutritional value of Okara. Process Biochemistry. 2019;83:137â€“147. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2019.05.010.
- Zhu YP, Fan JF, Cheng YQ, Li LT. Improvement of the antioxidant activity of Chinese traditional fermented okara (Meitauza) using Bacillus subtilis B2. Food Control. 2008;19(7):654â€“661. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2007.07.009.
- Ryabukha SS, Tymchouk SM, Pozdnyakov VV, Tertyshnyi AV. Content variability of to-copherols of different forms in soybean seeds. Oil crops. Scientific and technical Bulletin of VNIIMK. 2011;148â€“149(2):81â€“85. (In Russ.).
- Kucherenko LA, Efimenko SG, Petibskaya VS, Prudnikova TN. Tokoferoly semyan soi [Soybean tocopherols]. News institutes of higher Education. Food technology. 2008;303â€“304(2â€“3):24â€“26. (In Russ.).
- Prokhvatilova SS. Opredelenie vitamina E v farmatsevticheskikh preparatakh metodom VEHZHKH [HPLC determination of vitamin E in pharmaceuticals]. Farmatsiya. 1998;(3):41â€“44. (In Russ.).
- Kishenko VA, Levshuk IV, Efimenko SG. Determination of tocopherols in oils and oil content products with the method of highly effective liquid chromatography. Oil crops. Scientific and technical Bulletin of VNIIMK. 2007;137(2):35â€“38. (In Russ.).
- Tsochatzis ED, Tzimou-Tsitouridou R. Validated RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of tocopherols and tocotrienols in whole grain barley using matrix solid-phase dispersion. Food Analytical Methods. 2014;8(2):392â€“400. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12161-014-9904-9.
- Yang F, Yang CX, Yan XP. Post-synthetic modification of MIL-101(Cr) with pyridine for high-performance liquid chromatographic separation of tocopherols. Talanta. 2015;137:136â€“142. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2015.01.022.
- Zhuravleva LN. SvyazÊ¹ mezhdu izomernym sostavom tokoferolov i dlitelÊ¹nostÊ¹yu frityurnogo zhareniya masel [Isomeric composition of tocopherols vs. deep frying time]. Nauchnoe obespechenie innovatsionnykh tekhnologiy proizvodstva i khraneniya selÊ¹skokhozyaystvennoy i pishchevoy produktsii â€“ Sbornik materialov II Vserossiyskoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii molodykh uchenykh i aspirantov [Scientific support for innovative technologies for the production and storage of agricultural and food products â€“ Proceedings of the II All-Russian scientific and practical conference of young scientists and graduate students]; 2014; Krasnodar. Krasnodar: State All - Russian scientific research institute of tobacco, makhorka and tobacco products of All-Russian Academy of Agriculture; 2014. p. 147â€“149. (In Russ.).
- Eshchenko AYu, Zenkevich IG. Determination of tocopherols and tocotrienols in plant oils and some features of their composition. Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Physics and Chemistry. 2006;(4):68â€“75. (In Russ.).
- Osipov MV, Rudenko OS, Parashina FI, Petrova NA, Yuzhakova KV, Savenkova TV. Change of the content of vitamins in the manufacture and storage of flour confectionery products. Food Industry. 2018;(12):46â€“49. (In Russ.).
- Skurikhin IM, TutelÊ¹yan VA. Khimicheskiy sostav rossiyskikh pishchevykh produktov: Spravochnik [Chemical composition of Russian food products: Manual]. Moscow: DeLi print; 2002. 236 p. (In Russ.).