|Title of article
||EFFECT OF STORAGE METHODS ON VARIOUS SORTS OF SIBERIAN TURNIP (BRASSICA RAPA L.)
Stepanova A., Senior Lecturer of the Department of Trade and Advertising, Siberian University of Consumer Cooperation, email@example.com
Davydenko N., Dr.Sci.(Eng.), Associate Professor, Professor of the
Department of Technology and Organization of Public
Catering, Kemerovo State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
Golub O., Dr.Sci.(Eng.), Professor, Professor of the Department of Commodity and Examination of Goods, Siberian University of Consumer Cooperation, email@example.com
Stepanova E., Cand.Sci.(Eng.), Associate Professor, Professor of the
Department of Commodity and Examination of Goods, Siberian University of Consumer Cooperation, firstname.lastname@example.org
||Introduction. Vegetables are an integral part of human diet. Specialists from many countries of the world develop and improve technologies for storing vegetables in order to ensure the safety, quality, and quantity of commercial products. Turnip is one of the most promising vegetables from the point of view of healthy nutrition. Its production has been revived in recent years. This root vegetable has a high nutritional value and contains a significant amount of physiologically active components. There are regulatory documents for the storage of potatoes, carrots, and cabbage. However, storage standards for turnip are still under development due to the variability of their chemical composition, place of growth, etc. As a result, any rationale for storage methods for fresh and ripened turnips of different varieties grown on farms in the Novosibirsk region is relevant.
Study objects and methods. The research featured fresh and ripened turnips of the «Kometa», «Luna», and «Orbita» varieties. Research methods were generally accepted and standard. The samples were stored at 0â€“1Â°C and relative humidity of 90â€“95% on pallets in opened plastic bags, board boxes with plastic liners, and board boxes without liners.
Results and discussion. After 6 months, the method with polymer materials showed the best results, regardless of the variety: the average yield of quality products was 88%. Storage in wooden boxes without plastic liners provided only 70% of standard products. The decrease in the mass during 6-month storage was about 2% when stored in opened plastic bags and board boxes with plastic liners, while in board boxes without liners it was 20.6%. After the latter storage method, 9.8% of root crops appeared affected by microbiological diseases. A similar trend was observed in the content of total sugars: an average loss of 2.7% was detected when using polymer materials and 3.6% â€“ without them. The board boxes with plastic liners proved better in preserving vitamin C: the average loss was 22.3%, while it reached 30.3% for plastic bags and 37.3% for board boxes without liners. After 6 months of storage, all samples maintained satisfactory quality. The sensory properties ranged from 7.01 to 7.94 points. The points were discarded for decreased consistency of epithelial tissues, pulp, taste, and aroma.
Conclusion. The turnips of the «Kometa», «Luna», and «Orbita» varieties grown in the Novosibirsk region should be stored at 0â€“1Â°C and a relative humidity of 90â€“95% in plastic bags or board boxes with plastic liners placed on pallets.
||Root vegetables, Brassica rapa L., storage, vitamin Đˇ, sensory properties
||Received June 2, 2020
Accepted August 28, 2020
Available online October 8, 2020
||Stepanova AG, Davydenko NI, Golub OV, Stepanova EN. Effect of Storage Methods on Various Sorts of Siberian
Turnip (Brassica rapa L.). Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2020;50(3):470â€“479. (In Russ.). DOI: https://doi.
- Skurikhin IM, TutelĘąyan VA. Khimicheskiy sostav rossiyskikh pishchevykh produktov: Spravochnik [Chemical composition of Russian food products: Manual]. Moscow: DeLi print; 2002. 236 p. (In Russ.).
- Naymushina LV, Zykova ID, Satornik AD. Brassica rapa L. prospects as a source of significant biologically active
substances. Bulletin of KSAU. 2016;115(4):120â€“125. (In Russ.).
- Zhalilov NA, Karomatov IDz. Turnip â€“ the food and treatment-and-prophylactic plant. Biology and Integrative Medicine. 2017;(6):113â€“121. (In Russ.).
- Klopsch R, Witzel K, BĂ¶rner A, Schreiner M, Hanschen FS. Metabolic profiling of glucosinolates and their hydrolysis
products in a germplasm collection of Brassica rapa turnips. Food Research International. 2017;100:329â€“403. DOI: https://doi.
- Stepanova AG, Golub OV, Davydenko NI. Prospects for the use of canteen turnips in the manufacture of food products for
gastrotourism. XXI Century: Resumes of the Past and Challenges of the Present Plus. 2019;8(4)(48):113â€“118. (In Russ.).
- Borisov VA, Romanova AV, Yanchenko EV, Maslovskiy SA, Andrianov SA, Yanchenko AV, et al. Tekhnologiya
khraneniya i sroki realizatsii stolovykh korneplodov: Rukovodstvo [Storage technology and shelf life of table root vegetables:
Managemen]. Moscow: All-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Vegetable Growing; 2010. 80 p. (In Russ.).
- Shirokov EP, Polegaev VI. Khranenie i pererabotka produktsii rastenievodstva s osnovami standartizatsii i sertifikatsii.
ChastĘą 1. KartofelĘą, plody, ovoshchi [Storage and processing of crop production with the basics of standardization and certification.
Part 1. Potatoes, fruits, and vegetables]. Moscow: Kolos; 2000. 254 p. (In Russ.).
- Natarajan B, Kondhare KR, Hannapel DJ, Banerjee AK. Mobile RNAs and proteins: Prospects in storage organ
development of tuber and root crops. Plant Science. 2019;284:73â€“81. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plantsci.2019.03.019.
- Chakwizira E, de Ruiter JM, Maley S, Teixeira E. Evaluating the critical nitrogen dilution curve for storage root crops.
Field Crops Research. 2016;199:21â€“30. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2016.09.012.
- Yang J-F, Chen Y-Z, Kawabata S, Li Y-H, Wang Y. Identification of light-independent anthocyanin biosynthesis mutants
induced by ethyl methane sulfonate in turnip â€śTsudaâ€ť (Brassica rapa). International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2017;18(7).
- Zhuang H, Lou Q, Liu H, Han H, Wang Q, Tang Z, et al. Differential regulation of anthocyanins in green and purple
turnips revealed by combined de novo transcriptome and metabolome analysis. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2019;20(18). DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms20184387.
- Helland HS, LeufvĂ©n A, Bengtsson GB, Pettersen MK, Lea P, Wold A-B. Storage of fresh-cut swede and turnip: Effect of temperature, including sub-zero temperature, and packaging material on sensory attributes, sugars and glucosinolates. Postharvest Biology and Technology. 2016;111:370â€“379. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2015.09.011.
- Helland HS, LeufvĂ©n A, Bengtsson GB, Skaret J, Lea P, Wold A-B. Storage of fresh-cut swede and turnip in modified
atmosphere: effects on vitamin C, sugars, glucosinolates and sensory attributes. Postharvest Biology and Technology. 2016;111:150â€“160. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2015.07.028.
- Anosova MV. SokhrannostĘą tekhnologicheskikh kachestv korneplodov repy pri khranenii [Preservation of technological qualities of turnips during storage]. Tekhnologii i tovarovedenie selĘąskokhozyaystvennoy produktsii [Technologies and commodity science of agricultural products]. 2019;12(1):83â€“86. (In Russ.).
- Belyakova TN, Zabodalova LA, Shevchenko MYu. Use of turnip (Brassica rapa L.) In the production of a fermented beverage on a dairy basis with oncoprotective properties. Bulletin of Buryat State Academy of Agriculture. 2018;52(3):111â€“119. (In Russ.).
- Tan SY, MikĹˇ-Krajnik M, Neo SY, Tan A, Khoo GH, Yuk H-G. Effectiveness of various sanitizer treatments for inactivating natural microflora and Salmonella spp. on turnip (Pachyrhizus erosus). Food Control. 2015;54:216â€“224. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2015.02.012.
- Zavorokhina NV, Golub OV, Poznyakovskiy VM. Sensornyy analiz prodovolĘąstvennykh tovarov na predpriyatiyakh
pishchevoy promyshlennosti, torgovli i obshchestvennogo pitaniya [Sensory analysis of food products in the food industry, trade, and
public catering]. Moscow: INFRA-M; 2020. 144 p. (In Russ.).