Miller Yu.Yu., Siberian University of Consumer Cooperatives, Novosibirsk, Russia, email@example.com
Kiseleva T.F., Kemerovo State University, Kemerovo, Russia
Arysheva Iu.V., Kemerovo State University, Kemerovo, Russia
||Introduction. Soy is one of the most promising plant raw materials as it is rich in proteins and amino acids. However, its content of anti-nutritive compounds is too high to be used in food and beverage industry without precure. The research objective was to obtain soy-based malt with a high enzymatic activity, low content of anti-nutritional substances, and increased nutritional value.
Study objects and methods. The study featured Far-Eastern soybean varieties and malt. It involved standard methods of quality control of raw materials, semi-finished products, and finished products of beer and alcohol industry, as well as the capillary electrophoresis, spectrophotometry, and potentiometry.
Results and discussion. Germination of soybeans of all varieties contributed to the accumulation of hydrolytic enzymes and amino acids in the grain. The use of a complex of organic acids from the Krebs cycle at a concentration of 10â€“9 mol/dm3 at the soaking stage increased amylolytic, proteolytic, and lipoxygenase hydrolytic processes by 11, 22, and 12%, respectively. The level of urease, which correlates with the content of anti-nutritional substances, decreased by two times from the original level and was 0.4â€“0.5 units of pH. Germination stage fell down to 2.5â€“3 days, while the content of amino acids increased by 33â€“35% in comparison with unprocessed malt during soaking.
Conclusion. The use of organic acids in soy malting improved the quality and technological indicators, increased the level of amino acids, and decreased the level of anti-nutritional substances, making soy malt suitable for beverage industry.
Jayachandran M, Xu B. An insight into the health benefits of fermented soy products. Food Chemistry. 2019;271:362â€“371.
- Erdem BG, Kaya S. Production and application of freeze dried biocomposite coating powders from sunflower oil and
soy protein or whey protein isolates. Food Chemistry. 2021;339. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.127976.
- Azi F, Tu C, Meng L, Zhiyu L, Cherinet MT, Ahmadullah Z, et al. Metabolite dynamics and phytochemistry of a
soy whey-based beverage bio-transformed by water kefir consortium. Food Chemistry. 2021;342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- Chua J-Y, Lu Y, Liu S-Q. Evaluation of five commercial non-Saccharomyces yeasts in fermentation of soy (tofu)
whey into an alcoholic beverage. Food Microbiology. 2018;76:533â€“542. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2018.07.016.
- Nachvak SM, Moradi S, Anjom-shoae J, Rahmani J, Nasiri M, Maleki V, et al. Soy, soy isoflavones, and protein
intake in relation to mortality from all causes, cancers, and cardiovascular diseases: A systematic review and dose-response
meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2019;119(9):1483â€“1500. https://
- Tang C-H. Nanostructured soy proteins: Fabrication and applications as delivery systems for bioactives (a review).
Food Hydrocolloids. 2019;91:92â€“116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2019.01.012.
- Ma X, Shang Q, Hu J, Liu HS, Brokner C, Piao XS. Effects of replacing soybean meal, soy protein concentrate,
fermented soybean meal or fish meal with enzyme-treated soybean meal on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, antioxidant
capacity, immunity and intestinal morphology in weaned pigs. Livestock Science. 2019;225:39â€“46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- Cao Z-H, Green-Johnson JM, Buckley ND, Lin QY. Bioactivity of soy-based fermented foods: A review. Biotechnology
Advances. 2019;37(1):223â€“238. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biotechadv.2018.12.001.
- Kretovich VL. Biokhimiya rasteniy [Plant biochemistry]. Moscow: Vysshaya shkola; 1986. 503 p. (In Russ.).
- Herbert P, Cabrita MJ, Ratola N, Laureano O, Alves A. Free amino acids and biogenic amines in wines and musts from
the Alentejo region. Evolution of amines during alcoholic fermentation and relationship with variety, sub-region and vintage.
Journal of Food Engineering. 2005;66(3):315â€“322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2004.03.024.
- Azam M, Zhang S, Qi J, Abdelghany AM, Shaibu AS, Ghosh S, et al. Profiling and associations of seed nutritional
characteristics in Chinese and USA soybean cultivars. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis. 2021;98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- Duque-Estrada P, Kyriakopoulou K, de Groot W, van der Goot AJ, Berton-Carabin CC. Oxidative stability of soy
proteins: From ground soybeans to structured products. Food Chemistry. 2020;318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.126499.
- Wang Y, Liu C, Ma T, Zhao J. Physicochemical and functional properties of Î³-aminobutyric acid-treated soy proteins.
Food Chemistry. 2019;295:267â€“273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2019.05.128.
- Byanju B, Rahman MM, Hojilla-Evangelista MP, Lamsal BP. Effect of high-power sonication pretreatment on
extraction and some physicochemical properties of proteins from chickpea, kidney bean, and soybean. International Journal of
Biological Macromolecules. 2020;145:712â€“721. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2019.12.118.
- Singh SK, Singha P, Muthukumarappan K. Modeling and optimizing the effect of extrusion processing parameters
on nutritional properties of soy white flakes-based extrudates using response surface methodology. Animal Feed Science and
Technology. 2019;254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2019.06.001.
- Bracco LF, Levin GJ, Urtasun N, del Canizo AAN, Wolman FJ, Miranda MV, et al. Covalent immobilization of
soybean seed hull urease on chitosan mini-spheres and the impact on their properties. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology.
- Yalcin S, Basman A. Effects of infrared treatment on urease, trypsin inhibitor and lipoxygenase activities of soybean
samples. Food Chemistry. 2015;169:203â€“210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.07.114.
- Li S, Jin Z, Hu D, Yang W, Yan Y, Nie X, et al. Effect of solid-state fermentation with Lactobacillus casei on
the nutritional value, isoflavones, phenolic acids and antioxidant activity of whole soybean flour. LWT â€“ Food Science and
Technology. 2020;125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2020.109264.
- Kiseleva TF, Ulâ€™yankina NF, Miller YuYu, Stepanov SV, Pomozova VA. Germination of soybean as a way to reduce
antinutrients. Storage and Processing of Farm Products. 2013;(6):28â€“30. (In Russ.).
- Permyakova LV, Pomozova VA, Vereshchagin AL. Use of mix of acids of krebs cycle in ultralow concentration for
activation of culture of beer yeast. Beer and beverages. 2018;(1):20â€“24. (In Russ.).
- Kiseleva TF, Miller YuYu, Grebennikova YuV, Stabrovskaya EI. Intensification of malting using organic acid
complex. Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2016;40(1):11â€“17. (In Russ.).
- Kiseleva TF, Miller YuYu, Vereschagin AL, Golub OV. Investigation of the possibility of using an organic stimulant
in the production of wheat malt. Sovremennaa nauka i innovacii. 2019;25(1):161â€“167. (In Russ.).