Kolberg N.A., Ural State University of Economics, Yekaterinburg, Russia, ORCID
Tikhonova N.V., Ural State University of Economics, Yekaterinburg, Russia, ORCID
Tikhonov S.L., Ural State University of Economics, Yekaterinburg, Russia, firstname.lastname@example.org, ORCID
Leontieva S.A., Ural State University of Economics, Yekaterinburg, Russia, ORCID
||Introduction. Today, dietary supplements are an integral part of human diet. Some of them are made of hydrolysates of animal origin. Biologically active additives of immunomodulatory action can prevent various diseases. The research objective was to develop a dietary supplement from the bursa of Fabricius obtained from broiler chickens and evaluate its effect on cell viability in culture.
Study objects and methods. The study featured biologically active supplement obtained by enzymatic hydrolysis of the bursa of Fabricius, immature stem cells, and adult differentiated cells of human dermal fibroblasts, HeLa and MCF-7 cancer cells, and extract of the bursa of Fabricius.
Results and discussion. The research resulted in a new technology of dietary supplement production from the bursa of Fabricius of broiler chickens. It included washing, cutting, homogenization, proteolytic enzyme fermentation, and ultrafiltration. When introduced into the culture of mesenchymal stem cells, the dietary supplement caused a slight decrease in the cell viability at concentrations of 25 and 50%, which indicated a possible cytotoxic effect of the extract on mesenchymal cells. The extract did not affect the viability of human fibroblast culture and caused no cytotoxic effect. In MCF-7 culture, the extract had a dose-dependent cytotoxic effect, which lowered the relative cell viability.
Conclusion. The new dietary supplement based on the bursa of Fabricius of broiler chickens had a cytotoxic effect on stem cell cultures. However, it did not affect the cell viability and had no cytotoxic effect on human dermal fibroblasts. The effect depended on the cell culture. In the case of HeLa, the supplement stimulated proliferative activity, and in the case of MCF-7, it had a cytotoxic effect. Therefore, the new dietary supplement demonstrated some prospects as an active ingredient for various biologically active additives and immunomodulatory drugs.
- Kerksick Ð¡Ðœ, Arent S, Schoenfeld BJ, Stout JR, Campbell B, Wilborn CD, et al. International society of sports
nutrition position stand: Nutrient timing. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2017;14(1). https://doi.
- Banihashemi SA, Nikoo M, Ghasempour Z, Ehsani A. Bioactive peptides fractions from traditional Iranian Koopeh cheese;
lactic fermentation products. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology. 2020;29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcab.2020.101798.
- Bezus B, Ruscasso F, Garmendia G, Vero S, Cavello I, Cavalitto S. Revalorization of chicken feather waste into a
high antioxidant activity feather protein hydrolysate using a novel psychrotolerant bacterium. Biocatalysis and Agricultural.
- Fedulova LV, Kashinova EB. In vitro study of the biologically active substances of animal origin. Vsyo o Myase.
2016;(4):30â€“33. (In Russ.).
- Raja K, Martin LC, Bose L, Sahayanathan GJ, Padmanaban D, Chinnasamy A. Anti-proliferative and apoptotic
effects of by-product (skin extract) from marine catfish Tachysurus dussumieri. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology.
- Joshi I, Janagaraj K, Noorani KPM, Nazeer RA. Isolation and characterization of angiotensin I-converting enzyme
(ACE-I) inhibition and antioxidant peptide from by-catch shrimp (Oratosquilla woodmasoni) waste. Biocatalysis and Agricultural
Biotechnology. 2020;29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcab.2020.101770.
- Rivero-Pino F, Espejo-Carpio FJ, Perez-Galvez R, Guadix A, Guadix EM. Effect of ultrasound pretreatment and sequential
hydrolysis on the production of Tenebrio molitor antidiabetic peptides. Food and Bioproducts Processing. 2020;123:217â€“224.
- Merzlyak EM, Syrko DS, Musatkina EA, Israelson MA. The use of monoclonal antibodies in autoimmunity treatment.
Bulletin of Russian State Medical University. 2018;(6):164â€“169. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.24075/vrgmu.2018.094.
- Taroncher M, Rodriguez-Carrasco Y, Ruiz M-J. T-2 toxin and its metabolites: Characterization, cytotoxic mechanisms
and adaptive cellular response in human hepatocarcinoma (HepG2) cells. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2020;145. https://
- Shafiei Kaleybar L, Khoshfetrat AB, Nozad Charoudeh H. Modeling and performance prediction of a conceptual
bioprocess for mass production of suspended stem cells. Food and Bioproducts Processing. 2020;122:254â€“268. https://doi.
- Lu J, Lu J, Chen Y, Feng Z, Liu S, Guan S. 3-Chloro-1, 2-propanediol inhibits autophagic flux by impairment of
lysosomal function in HepG2 cells. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2020;144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2020.111575.
- Abdel-Aty AM, Hamed MB, Salama WH, Ali MM, Fahmy AS, Mohamed SA. Ficus carica, Ficus sycomorus and
Euphorbia tirucalli latex extracts: Phytochemical screening, antioxidant and cytotoxic properties. Biocatalysis and Agricultural
Biotechnology. 2019;20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcab.2019.101199.
- Kumar RM, Jeyapriyadharshini S, Roy AA, Antony L, Indu S, Manikkam R. Triterpenoids from Cassia fistula L.
regulate p53 & ERK2 genes to induce apoptosis in HT-29 colon cancer cells. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology.
- Farid MM, Marzouk MM, El-Shabrawy M, Salem MA, Mounier MM, Hussein SR. Isoscutellarein 8, 4â€²-Dimethyl
ether glycosides as cytotoxic agents and chemotaxonomic markers in Kickxia aegyptiaca. Biocatalysis and Agricultural
Biotechnology. 2019;22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcab.2019.101431.
- Suresh G, Kokila D, Suresh TC, Kumaran S, Velmurugan P, Vedhanayakisri KA, et al. Mycosynthesis of anticancer
drug taxol by Aspergillus oryzae, an endophyte of Tarenna asiatica, characterization, and its activity against a human lung
cancer cell line. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology. 2020;24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcab.2020.101525.
- Juan-GarcÃa A, Agahi F, Drakonaki M, Tedeschi P, Font G, Juan C. Cytoprotection assessment against mycotoxins
on HepG2 cells by extracts from Allium sativum L. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2021;151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- Abdel-Wahab BA, Walbi IA, Albarqi HA, Ali FEM, Hassanein EHM. Roflumilast protects from cisplatin-induced
testicular toxicity in male rats and enhances its cytotoxicity in prostate cancer cell line. Role of NF-ÎºB-p65, cAMP/PKA and
Nrf2/HO-1, NQO1 signaling. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2021;151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2021.112133.
- Rahaman MS, Yamasaki S, Binte Hossain KF, Hosokawa T, Saito T, Kurasaki M. Effects of curcumin, D-pinitol
alone or in combination in cytotoxicity induced by arsenic in PC12 cells. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2020;144. https://
- Liu M-M, Ma R-H, Ni Z-J, Thakur K, Cespedes-Acuna C, Jiang L, et al. Apigenin 7-O-glucoside promotes cell
apoptosis through the PTEN/PI3K/AKT pathway and inhibits cell migration in cervical cancer HeLa cells. Food and Chemical
Toxicology. 2020;146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2020.111843.
- Kushlinsky NE, Nemtsova MV. Molecular mechanisms of tumor growth. Meditsinskie novosti, 2014;(9):29â€“37. (In Russ.).