Copyright ©Misteneva et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
), allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially, provided the original work is properly cited and states its license.
Problems of rational and balanced nutrition for children and teenagers attract the attention of scientists around the world. Nowadays, pediatricians, nutritionists, and parents are interested in researches that study the nature and structure of children’s diet. The food market is wide and diverse. However, most foods, including confectionary products for children, do not correspond with the principles of healthy nutrition, food legislation, and the achievements of modern food science. As a result, it is difficult for consumers to select physiologically important products for their children. The government of the Russian Federation has defined the main directions for the development of food products designed for children. The program involves expanding their range and improving their quality and safety. In addition, domestic food industry should be based on echnical regulations, the latest scientific achievements, and global trends in production management and choice of raw materials, as well as in the design of specialized confectionery products and healthy foods. The present paper describes how specialized confectionery products for children of preschool and school age can be improved and fortified with vitamins and minerals. The authors introduce some criteria that distinguish this category from mass products. In this connection, the paper also covers some basic problems of the development of food for children in the Russian Federation. It describes the regulatory legal acts for confectionery products for children in the countries of the Customs Union. The authors believe that there is a need for a single regulatory document to control the development and sales of specialized products for children. The results of the research confirm the relevance of the work performed by the All-Russian Research Institute of Confectionery Industry on the development of State Standards for cookies for preschoolers and schoolchildren.
, raw materials
, food additives
, products for children
, technical regulations
- Plan osnovnykh meropriyatiy do 2020 goda, provodimykh v ramkakh Desyatiletiya detstva: Rasporyazhenie Pravitelʹstva RF ot 06.06.2018 g. № 1375-r [The plan of main activities up to 2020 in the framework of the Decade of childhood. Order of the Government of the Russian Federation, June 6, 2018, No. 1375-p]. Sobranie zakonodatelʹstva Rossiyskoy Federatsii [Legislation of the Russian Federation]. 2018;(29)(4475):10149–10157.
- Kudiyarova MZh. Gigiena detey i podrostkov [Hygiene of children and teenagers]. Bishkek: Kyrgyz-Russian Slavic University; 2017. 86 p. (In Russ.).
- Kleinman RF, Greer FR. Pediatric nutrition. American Academy of Pediatrics; 2013. 1477 p.
- Podkolzina VA, Lazareva GYu, Mullayarova EhA. Detskoe pitanie. Polnyy spravochnik [Food for children. Complete reference book]. Voronezh: Nauchnaya kniga; 2013. 830 p. (In Russ.).
- Paranicheva TM, Tyurina EV. Dinamika sostoyaniya zdorovʹya detey doshkolʹnogo i mladshego shkolʹnogo vozrasta [Dynamics of the state of health of children of preschool and primary school age]. Novye issledovaniya [New Studies]. 2012;33(4):68–78. (In Russ.).
- Global Action Plan for the Prevention and Control of NCDs 2013–2020. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2013. 103 p.
- Robertson A, Tirado C, Lobstein T, Jermini M, Knai C, Jensen JH, et al. Food and health in Europe: a new basis for action. Copenhagen: World Health Organization; 2004. 502 p.
- Food and nutrition policy for schools: a tool for the development of school nutrition programmes in the European Region. Copenhagen: World Health Organization; 2006. 58 p.
- Strategiya ‘Zdorovʹe i razvitie podrostkov Rossii’ (garmonizatsiya Evropeyskikh i Rossiyskikh podkhodov k teorii i praktike okhrany i ukrepleniya zdorovʹya podrostkov) [Strategy ‘Health and development of adolescents in Russia’ (harmonization of European and Russian approaches to the theory and practice of protection and promotion of adolescent health)]. Moscow: National Medical Research Center for Children’s Health; 2010. 54 p. (In Russ.).
- Ford CN, Slining MM, Popkin BM. Trends in Dietary Intake among US 2- to 6-Year-Old Children, 1989–2008. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2013;113(1):35–42. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2012.08.022.
- Sadykova DI. Prophylaxis of obesity in childhood. Practical medicine. 2013;75(6):25–29. (In Russ.). 12. Gu X, Tucker KL. Dietary quality of the US child and adolescent population: trends from 1999 to 2012 and associations with the use of federal nutrition assistance programs. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2017;105(1):194–202. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.116.135095.
- Gu, X. Dietary quality of the US child and adolescent population: trends from 1999 to 2012 and associations with the use of federal nutrition assistance programs / X. Gu, K. L. Tucker // American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. – 2017. – Vol. 105, № 1. – P. 194–202. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.116.135095.
- Soldatova EA, Misteneva SYu, Savenkova TV. Features of Modern Legislative Base of Flour Confectionery Products Manufacturing for Baby Nutrition. Confectionery manufacture. 2014;(1):6–8. (In Russ.).
- O’Neil CE, Fulgoni VL, Nicklas TA. Association of candy consumption with body weight measures, other health risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diet quality in US children and adolescents: NHANES 1999–2004. Food and Nutrition Research. 2011;55. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3402/fnr.v55i0.5794.
- Pei Z, Flexeder C, Fuertes E, Standl M, Buyken A, Berdel D, et al. Food intake and overweight in school-aged children in Germany: results of the GINIplus and LISAplus studies. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 2014;64(1):60–70. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1159/000362694.
- Duyff RL, Birch LL, Byrd-Bredbenner C, Johnson SL, Mattes RD, Murphy MM, et al. Candy Consumption Patterns, Effects on Health, and Behavioral Strategies to Promote Moderation: Summary Report of a Roundtable Discussion. Advances in Nutrition. 2015;6(1):139S–146S. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3945/an.114.007302.
- Nechaev AP, Kochetkova AA, Zaytsev AN. Pishchevye dobavki [Food additives]. Moscow: Kolos; 2001. 256 p. (In Russ.).
- Grumezescu AM, Holban A-M. Natural and Artificial Flavoring Agents and Food Dyes. Volume 7 (Handbook of Food Bioengineering). Academic Press; 2018. 566 p.
- TR TS 021/2011. Tekhnicheskiy reglament Tamozhennogo soyuza ‘O bezopasnosti pishchevoy produktsii’ [RP of the Customs Union 021/2011. Technical regulations of the Customs Union ‘On food safety’]. 2011.
- TR TC 029/2012 Tekhnicheskiy reglament Tamozhennogo soyuza ‘Trebovaniya bezopasnosti pishchevykh dobavok, aromatizatorov i tekhnologicheskikh vspomogatelʹnykh sredstv’ [Technical Regulations of the Customs Union TR CU 029/2012 ‘Safety requirements for food additives, flavors, and technological aids’].
- Briggs MA, Petersen KS, Kris-Etherton PM. Saturated Fatty Acids and Cardiovascular Disease: Replacements for Saturated Fat to Reduce Cardiovascular Risk. Healthcare. 2017;5(2). DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare5020029.
- Dhaka V, Gulia N, Ahlawat KS, Khatkar BS. Trans fats-sources, health risks and alternative approach – A review. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2011;48(5):534–541. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-010-0225-8.
- Micha R, Mozaffarian D. Trans fatty acids: Effects on cardiometabolic health and implications for policy. Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids. 2008;79(3–5):147–152. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plefa.2008.09.008.
- Kondratiev NB. Effect That Oxidation Stability of Ingredient Fats Has on Shelf Life of Cookies. Confectionery manufacture. 2012;(2):26–28. (In Russ.).
- Bailey RL, Fulgoni VL, Cowan AE, Gaine PC. Sources of Added Sugars in Young Children, Adolescents, and Adults with Low and High Intakes of Added Sugars. Nutrients. 2018;10(1). DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10010102.
- Nilova LP. Tovarovedenie i ehkspertiza zernomuchnykh tovarov [Merchandising and examination of grain products]. St. Petersburg: GIORD; 2005. 416 p. (In Russ.).
- Tutelʹyan VA, Razumov AN, Vyalkov AI, Mikhaylov VI, Moskalenko KA, Odinets AG, et al. Nauchnye osnovy zdorovogo pitaniya [Scientific bases of healthy nutrition]. Moscow: Panorama; 2010. 816 p. (In Russ.).
- McRaen MP. Health Benefits of Dietary Whole Grains: An Umbrella Review of Meta-analyses. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine. 2017;16(1):10–18. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcm.2016.08.008.
- Das JK, Salam RA, Kumar R, Bhutta ZA. Micronutrient fortification of food and its impact on woman and child health: a systematic review. Systematic reviews. 2013;2:67. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/2046-4053-2-67.
How to quote?
Misteneva SYu, Soldatova EA, Shcherbakova NA, Gerasimov TV, Taleysnik MA. Basics of Specialized Confectionery Products
for Preschoolers and Schoolchildren. Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2019;49(3):413–422. (In Russ.). DOI: https://doi.