AbstractThe World Health Organization insists on limiting easily digestible carbohydrates, saturated fats, and trans-isomers of fatty acids in human diet. Therefore, formulations of high-calorie confectionery products have to be modified. The research objective was to develop confectionery creams with a modified carbohydrate profile and a reduced calorie content, fortified with omega-3 fatty acids and dietary fibers.
The study featured a traditional formulation of butter cream and experimental samples of confectionery creams on vegetable oils with a modified carbohydrate profile. The research involved standard methods of assessing sensory and physicochemical properties of the control and experimental cream samples. The content of soluble and insoluble dietary fibers was estimated by enzymatic gravimetric method, while the content of tocopherols was determined by high-performance liquid chromatography.
The test samples of creams on vegetable oil with modified carbohydrate profile had a fiber content of 4.0–18.5 g/100 g, represented by oat bran powder with 28% beta-glucan, arabinogalactan, and inulin. The amount of omega-3 fatty acids was 0.2 g/100 g, and the fat content was 15–26%. Easily digestible carbohydrates were represented exclusively by lactose of milk powder (0.5–3.5 g/100 g of cream). The test creams were fortified with D-α-tocopherol acetate: 2.6–4.5 mg/50 g. The density of the resulting products was 0.75–0.90 g/cm3, which made it possible to use them both as independent desserts and as semi-products.
The developed confectionery creams complied with the legislation of the EurAsEC on food products fortified with dietary fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. They can be labeled as sugar-free (≤ 0.5 g/100 g) or low sugar (≤ 5 g/100 g) products. Therefore, they are safe for customers with obesity and diabetes.
KeywordsCream, sweeteners, dietary fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, nutrition value
- Bray GA, Kim KK, Wilding JPH. Obesity: a chronic relapsing progressive disease process. A position statement of the World Obesity Federation. Obesity Reviews. 2017;18(7):715–723. https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12551
- Blüher M. Obesity: global epidemiology and pathogenesis. Nature Reviews Endocrinology. 2019;15(5):288–298. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41574-019-0176-8
- Sharafetdinov KhKh, Plotnikova OA. Obesity as a global challenge of the 21st century: Clinical medical nutrition, prevention and therapy. Problems of Nutrition. 2020;89(4):161–171. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.24411/0042-8833-2020-10050
- Sharafetdinov KhKh, Plotnikova OA, Nazarova AM, Kondratieva OV. Specialized foods with a modified carbohydrate profile in the correction of metabolic disorders in type 2 diabetes. Problems of Nutrition. 2017;86(6):56–66. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.24411/0042-8833-2017-00006
- Global strategy on diet, physical activity and health. World Health Organization; 2004.
- Tutelyan VA, Nikityuk DB, Baturin AK, Vasiliev AV, Gapparov MM, Zhilinskaya NV, et al. Nutriome as the direction of the “main blow”: Determination of physiological needs in macroand micronutrients, minor biologically active substances. Problems of Nutrition. 2020;89(4):24–34. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.24411/0042-8833-2020-10039
- Reznichenko IYu, Renzyaeva TV, Tabatorovich AN, Surkov IV, Chistyakov AM. Formation of a range of functional flour confectionery products. Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2017;45(2):149–162. (In Russ.).
- Kochetkova AA, Vorobyeva IS, Vorobyeva VM, Sharafetdinov KhKh, Plotnikova OA, Pilipenko VV, et al. Specialized food products with modified carbohydrate profile for dietary correction of diet of patients with type 2 diabetes. Problems of Nutrition. 2018;87(6):76–88. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.24411/0042-8833-2018-10069
- Vorobyeva VM, Vorobyeva IS, Kochetkova AA, Sharafetdinov KhKh, Zorina EE. Modification of carbohydrate composition of confectionery for diabetics type 2. Problems of Nutrition. 2014;83(6):66–73. (In Russ.).
- Tutelyan VA, Nikityuk DB, Burlyaeva EA, Khotimchenko SA, Baturin AK, Starodubova AV, et al. COVID-19: New challenges for medical science and practical health. Problems of Nutrition. 2020;89(3):6–13. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.24411/0042-8833-2020-10024
- Sharafetdinov KhKh, Plotnikova OA, Churicheva AM, Pilipenko VV, Alekseeva RI, Sentsova TB, et al. Assessment of efficacy of specialized food products with modified carbohydrate profile in patients with type 2 diabetes. Problems of Nutrition. 2016;85(6):103–109. (In Russ.).
- Vas'kina VA, L'vovich NA, Golovacheva AV, Platonov EA, Astashkina TI, Bobrova IV, et al. Meringue production method. Russia patent RU 2452190C1. 2012.
- Tkeshelashvili ME. Aerated confectionary product with low glycaemic index. Russia patent RU 2492690C2. 2013.
- Magomedov GO, Plotnikova IV, Krivosheeva AV. Marshmallow production method. Russia patent RU 2651288C1. 2018.
- Savenkova TV, Osipov MV, Kazantsev EV, Kochetkova AA, Vorobieva VM, Vorobieva IS, et al. The production technology of diabetic confection with modified carbohydrate profile. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 2016;7(6):3123–3130.
- Macejchik IV, Korpacheva SM, Kudryashova AN, Lomovskij OI. Increased antioxidant activity of frozen whipped functional desserts. Food Industry. 2018;(11):28–31. (In Russ.).
- Krylova EN, Savenkova TV, Rudenko OS, Mavrina EN. The use of milk protein in the production of jelly products. Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2018;48(3):58–64. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.21603/2074-9414-2018-3-58-64
- Smykov IT. Protein-polysaccharide interactions in dairy production. Food systems. 2020;3(4):24–33. https://doi.org/10.21323/2618-9771-2020-3-4-24-33
- Momin MA, Jubayer MF, Begum AA, Nupur AH, Ranganathan TV, Mazumder MAR. Substituting wheat flour with okara flour in biscuit production. Foods and Raw Materials. 2020;8(2):422–428. https://doi.org/10.21603/2308-4057-2020-2-422-428
- Lur'e IS, Ivanov AV, Tumanova AE. Cream production method. Russia patent RU 2165150C1. 2001.
- Strupan EA. Composition of “Charlotte” cream and method of its production. Russia patent RU 2334402C1. 2008.
- Vas'kina VA, Golovacheva AV, L'vovich NA, Nasedkina AV, Rodjukova EV, Onikova MA, et al. Finish semi-product production method. Russia patent RU 2452189C1. 2012.
- Ruban NV, Vas'kina VA, Bogatyreva TG, Mazukabzova EV. The use of protein-polysaccharide in mixtures production of creams for cakes and pastries. Storage and Processing of Farm Products. 2014;(11):5–8. (In Russ.).
- Bogatyreva TG, Ruban NV, Vaskina VA, Belyavskaya IG. Polisaharidnye proteinmixtureto increasethe shelf lifeof oilcreams. Food Industry. 2015;(3):24–26. (In Russ.).
- Mogilʹnyy MP. Confectionary formulations. Moscow: DeLi plyus; 2019. 570 p. (In Russ.).
- Tutelyan VA, Sharafetdinov KhKh, Lapik IA, Vorobyeva IS, Sukhanov BP. Priorities in the development of specialized food products with optimized composition for patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Problems of Nutrition. 2014;83(6):41–51. (In Russ.).
- Simopoulos AP, De Meester F, Koletzko B. A balanced omega-6/omega-3 fatty acids ratio, cholesterol and coronary heart disease: World review of nutrition and dietetics. Vol. 100. Karger; 2009. 126 p.
- Pyryeva EA, Safronova AI. The role of dietary fibers in the nutrition of the population. Problems of Nutrition. 2019;88(6):5–11. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.24411/0042-8833-2019-10059
- Reznichenko IYu, Shcheglov MS. Sugar substitutes and sweeteners in confectionery technology. Food Processing: Techniques and Technology. 2020;50(4):576–587. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.21603/2074-9414-2020-4-576-587
- Schuster J, Benincá G, Vitorazzi R, del Bosco SM. Effects of oats on lipid profile, insulin resistance and weight loss. Nutricion Hospitalaria. 2015;32(5):2111–2116. https://doi.org/10.3305/nh.2015.32.5.9590
- Medvedeva EN, Babkin VA, Ostroukhova LA. Larch arabinogalactan: a review of properties and prospects. Chemistry of Plant Raw Materials. 2003;(1):27–37. (In Russ.).
- Beketova NA, Pavlovskaya EV, Kodentsova VM, Vrzhesinskaya OA, Kosheleva OV, Sokolnikov AA, et al. Biomarkers of vitamin status in obese school children. Problems of Nutrition. 2019;88(6):5–11. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.24411/0042-8833-2019-10043
- Kinash MI, Boyarchuk OR. Fat-soluble vitamins and immunodeficiency: Mechanisms of influence and opportunities for use. Problems of Nutrition. 2020;89(3):22–32. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.24411/0042-8833-2020-10026
- Zajtseva LV, Ruban NV, Kravchenko VS, Spiryugov AN, Ruban DI. Dietary cream semi-product. Russia patent RU 2724689C1. 2020.