AbstractIntroduction. Iodine is one of the most important elements for maintaining human health and cognitive skills. Contemporary food industry is looking for new functional foods fortified with macro- and micronutrients. Confectionery products occupy a fairly large segment of human diet. The present research objective was to substitute traditional white sugar with an experimental granulated sugar-containing product that contained maltodextrin, cane molasses, and Japanese kelp extract. This substitute could reduce the calorie content of jelly and increase its functional properties while maintaining its sensory profile, e.g. consistency, increasing its shelf-life, and simplifying the tec hnological process.
Study objects and methods. Granulated sugar-containing product is a new component for the confectionery industry, but its effect on technological processes is unpredictable. The research featured an experimental granulated sugar-containing product with maltodextrin, cane molasses, and Japanese kelp. The growth rate of granules and their structure were studied by scanning microscopy and radiography, the granulometric composition and solubility – by determining the relative dissolution rate, the effect of the granulated sugar-containing product on the sensory and physicochemical parameters of jelly – by refractometry and titrometry.
Results and discussion. The experimental granulated sugar-containing product contained sucrose both in crystalline and amorphous state, which affected the distribution of nutrients within the product. The growth rate of granules affected the resulting structure of the product and its solubility, which decreased by 2.5 times as the size of the granules grew. The dissolution rate decreased compared to crystalline sugar. As a result, the technological process of jelly production had to be adjusted. The developed jelly had a lower energy value and better nutritional qualities. The high content of vitamins and macro- and microelements makes it a functional product. The experimental jelly received 22.3 points for sensory profile. Its hysico-chemical parameters (soluble solids < 68%, acidity > 2.2 8%) met the standard requirements for this type of product.
Conclusion. The new granulated sugar-containing product simplified the technological process and improved the sanitary, hygienic, and working conditions.
KeywordsJelly, jelly product, iodine, white sugar, crystal seed, laminaria, maltodextrin, molasses
- Rabadanova RS, Bogatyreva SN, Artemyeva SI, Aralova EV, Polozhentseva IV, Pisarevsky KL. Key features of human nutrition behavior. Revista Inclusiones. 2020;7:170–181.
- Aslam MF, Majeed S, Aslam S, Irfan JA. Vitamins: Key role players in boosting up immune response – A mini review. Vitamins and Minerals. 2017;6(1). https://doi.org/10.4172/2376-1318.1000153.
- Egorova MI, Raynik VV, Mikhaleva IS, Kretova YaA, Nikolaeva ES. Searching for formalized connections between the consumer properties of sugar and technological process parameters of its production. Proceedings of the Voronezh State University of Engineering Technologies. 2018;80(3):196–204. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.20914/2310-1202-2018-3-196-204.
- Cherpitskiy SN, Tarshis MYu, Korolev LV, Kapranova AV. Study of the process of mixing of loose materials in a drum-blade mixer. Chemical and Petroleum Engineering. 2020;(1):3–6. (In Russ.).
- Tarasova EA, Guryeva KB, Slavyanskiy AA, Lebedeva NN, Mitroshina DP. Development of a national quality infrastructure in the sugar industry. Sahar. 2021;(5):20–23. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.24412/2413-5518-2021-5-20-23.
- Orlova AYu, Slavyanskij AA, Gribkova VA, Lebedeva NN. Method for production of granulated sugar-containing product. Russia patent RU 2749907C1. 2021.
- Slavyanskij AA, Antishina SA, Yakubenko VP. Method for production of granulated sugar-containing product. Russia patent RU 2652128C1. 2018.
- Krylova EhN. Netraditsionnye vidy syrʹya dlya konditerskikh izdeliy lechebno-profilakticheskogo naznacheniya [Non-traditional types of raw materials for confectionery products with therapeutic and prophylactic purposes]. Food Industry. 2000;(4):61. (In Russ.).
- Karomatov IDzh, Ashurova NG, Amonov KU. Laminaria, sea cabbage. Biology and Iintegrative Medicine. 2017;(2):194–213. (In Russ.).
- Sharma YK, Patil PP, Mangla SK. Analyzing risks in safety and security of food using grey relational an analysis. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology. 2018;9(12):9–19.
- Mao Y, Tian S, Qin Y, Han J. A new sensory sweetness definition and sweetness conversion method of five natural sugars, based on the Weber-Fechner Law. Food Chemistry. 2019;281:78–84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.12.049.
- Maidannyk VA, Nurhadi B, Roos YH. Structural strength analysis of amorphous trehalose-maltodextrin systems. Food Research International. 2017;96:121–131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2017.03.029.
- Bērziņš K, Suryanarayanan R. Compression-induced crystallization in sucrose-polyvinylpyrrolidone amorphous solid dispersions. Crystal Growth and Design. 2018;18(2):839–848. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.cgd.7b01305.
- Frenzel S. Crystallization schemes in the sugar industry. ChemBioEng Reviews. 2020;7(5):159–166. https://doi.org/10.1002/cben.202000010.
- Andreev NR, Hvorova LS, Ananskikh VV, Lukin DN. Innovative technologies for import substitution of glucose. Storage and Processing of Farm Products. 2015;(11):55–59. (In Russ.).
- de Castro BJC, Marciniuk M, Giulietti M, Bernardo A. Sucrose crystallization: Modeling and evaluation of production responses to typical process fluctuations. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering. 2019;36(3):1237–1253. https://doi.org/10.1590/0104-6632.20190363s20180240.
- Thakral S, Sonje J, Suryanarayanan R. Anomalous behavior of mannitol hemihydrate: Implications on sucrose crystallization in colyophilized systems. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2020;587. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2020.119629.
- Naumenko Yu. Modeling a flow pattern of the granular fill in the cross section of a rotating chamber. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies. 2017;5(1–89):59–69. https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.110444.
- Zhele, mussy, sambuki. Tekhnologiya prigotovleniya. Pravila podachi. Assortiment [Jelly, mousse, and sambuca. Cooking technology. Serving rules. Assortment] [Internet]. [cited 2021 Jun 01]. Available from: https://www.foodtours.ru/toiks-299-2.html.
- Semenova AV, Slavyansky AA, Voskanyan OS, Nikolaeva NV, Lebedeva NN. Development of technology for the production of flour eastern sweets chak-chak on the basis of multifunctional components of plant origin. Agroprodovolʹstvennaya ehkonomika [Agri-food economics]. 2019;(10):69–75. (In Russ.).
- Gartel RU, fon Ehlʹbe YG, Khofberger R. Sakharistye konditerskie izdeliya [Sugar confectionery]. St. Petersburg: Professiya; 2019. 784 p. (In Russ.).