Copyright ©Kukin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
), allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially, provided the original work is properly cited and states its license.
Production of functional foods containing such functional ingredients as pectin and anthocyanins is particularly important nowadays. The goal of the given research was to study the effect of high esterified pectin obtained from apples at a dosage of 0.3% on the changes of viscosity and color of drinks based on cherry juice and anthocyanin colourant obtained from black carrot, apple juice and sugar color IV during storage in a dark place at 22 ± 3 °C for 180 days. Optical density was measured using spectrophotometric method at a wavelength of 350 to 700 nm. Mass fraction of solid matter was adjusted using sucrose to reach 10.1 ± 0.7 %, pH for drinks based on cherry juice and anthocyanin colourant obtained from black carrot was adjusted to reach 3.0, and for drinks based on apple juice and sugar color IV – to reach 3.5 in the prepared beverages. The author shows that pectin does not have any significant effect on colour retention in drinks based on cherry juice and anthocyanin obtained from black carrot, and that anthocyanin colourant from black carrots is more stable during storage than the colourant that cherry juice contains. The color of the drinks based on apple juice and sugar color IV without pectin remains almost the same during storage. In the visible spectrum region they have a monotonous graph of the change in optical density, and pectin makes a significant contribution to the final color. It is established that for 180 days of storage kinematic viscosity of the beverages with pectin decreased not more than 12%, that indicates a high level of pectin preservation. According to the results of the research, the author makes a conclusion that the use of pectin to preserve the color of beverages with natural colourants is not practical. It makes sense to use pectin in order to give the beverages functional properties, as well as to increase their viscosity and stability.
, natural colourants
- Aguilera Y., Mojica L., Rebollo-Hernanz M., et al. Black bean coats: New source of anthocyanins stabilized by β-cyclodextrin copigmentation in a sport beverage. Food chemistry, 2016, vol. 212, pp. 561–570. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.06.022.
- Benn T., Kim B., Park Y.K., et al. Polyphenol-rich blackcurrant extract prevents inflammation in diet-induced obese mice. The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 2014, vol. 25(10), pp. 1019–1025. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2014.05.008.
- Kuntz S., Kunz C., Herrmann J., et al. Anthocyanins from fruit juices improve the antioxidant status of healthy young female volunteers without affecting anti-inflammatory parameters: results from the randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over ANTHONIA (Anthocyanins in Nutrition Investigation Alliance) study. British Journal of Nutrition, 2014, vol. 112(6), pp. 925–936. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114514001482.
- Perez-Ramirez I.F., Castano-Tostado E., Ramírez-de León J.A., Rocha-Guzmán N.E., Reynoso-Camacho R. Effect of stevia and citric acid on the stability of phenolic compounds and in vitro antioxidant and antidiabetic capacity of a roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) beverage. Food Chemistry, 2015, vol. 172, pp. 885–892. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.09.126.
- Buchweitz M., Speth M., Kammerer D.R., Carle R. Impact of pectin type on the storage stability of black currant (Ribes nigrum L.) anthocyanins in pectic model solutions. Food Chemistry, 2013, vol. 139(1–4), pp. 1168–1178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.02.005.
- Fernandes A., Brás N.F., Mateus N., de Freitas V. Understanding the molecular mechanism of anthocyanin binding to pectin. Langmuir, 2014, vol. 30(28), pp. 8516–8527. https://doi.org/10.1021/la501879w.
- Lewis C.E., Walker J.R., Lancaster J.E. Effect of polysaccharides on the colour of anthocyanins. Food Chemistry, 1995, vol. 54(3), pp. 315–319. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(95)00026-F.
- Bordenave N., Hamaker B.R., Ferruzzi M.G. Nature and consequences of non-covalent interactions between flavonoids and macronutrients in foods. Food & Function, 2014, vol. 5(1), pp. 18–34. https://doi.org/10.1039/c3fo60263j.
- Hernandez-Herrero J.A., Frutos M.J. Influence of rutin and ascorbic acid in colour, plum anthocyanins and antioxidant capacity stability in model juices. Food Chemistry, 2015, vol. 173, pp. 495–500. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.10.059.
- Li J., Song H., Dong N., Zhao G. Degradation kinetics of anthocyanins from purple sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L.) as affected by ascorbic acid. Food Science and Biotechnology, 2014, vol. 23(1), pp. 89–96. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-014-0012-9.
- Chung C., Rojanasasithara T., Mutilangi W., McClements D.J. Enhancement of colour stability of anthocyanins in model beverages by gum arabic addition. Food Chemistry, 2016, vol. 201, pp. 14–22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.01.051.
- Chung C., Rojanasasithara T., Mutilangi W., McClements D.J. Enhanced stability of anthocyanin-based color in model beverage systems through whey protein isolate complexation. Food Research International, 2015, vol. 76, pp. 761–768. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2015.07.003.
- Holzwarth M., Korhummel S., Siekmann T., Carle R., Kammerer D.R. Influence of different pectins, process and storage conditions on anthocyanin and colour retention in strawberry jams and spreads. LWT – Food Science and Technology, 2013, vol. 52(2), pp. 131–138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2012.05.020.
- Poiana M.A., Munteanu M.F., Bordean D.M., Gligor R., Alexa E. Assessing the effects of different pectins addition on color quality and antioxidant properties of blackberry jam. Chemistry Central Journal, 2013, vol. 7(1), p. 121. https://doi.org/10.1186/1752-153X-7-121.
- Ibrahim G.E., Hassan I.M., Abd-Elrashid A.M., et al. Effect of clouding agents on the quality of apple juice during storage. Food Hydrocolloids, 2011, vol. 25, iss. 1, pp. 91–97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2010.05.009.
- Combined Compendium of Food Additive Specifications. Monographs 1, Vol. I, Vol. 4 – Analytical methods, test procedures and laboratory solutions used by and referenced in food additive specifications. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2006.
- Kukin M.Yu. Usovershenstvovaniye tekhnologii polucheniya pektina iz yablok [Improvement of pectin production technology from apples]. Nauchnyy zhurnal NIU ITMO. Seriya “Protsessy i apparaty pishchevykh proizvodstv” [ITMO University Scientific journal], 2017, vol. 2, no. 32, pp. 9–17.
- Smirnov E.V. Pishchevyye krasiteli. Spravochnik [Food colorants. Reference book]. St.Petersburg: Professiya Publ., 2009. 346 p.
- MR 188.8.131.525-04. Rekomenduyemyye urovni potrebleniya pishchevykh i biologicheski aktivnykh veshchestv [Guidelines 184.108.40.2065-04. Recommended levels of food and biologically active substances consumption]. Moscow, Federalʼnyy tsentr gossanepidnadzora Minzdrava Rossii Publ., 2004. 48 p.
- Spirichev V.B., Shatnyuk L.N., Poznyakovskiy V.M. Obogashcheniye pishchevykh produktov vitaminami i mineral’nymi veshchestvami. Nauka i tekhnologiya [Food enrichment with vitamins and mineral substances. Science and technology]. Novosibirsk: Sibirskoye universitetskoye izdatel’stvo Publ., 2005. 548 p.